One of the questions that keeps popping up in conversations is “Are the elders searching for a new pastor?” Well, I’m glad you’re concerned about this. Dan Jarrell is our interim pastor for only five more months, and the clock is ticking. However, there’s much to do prior to bringing the new person on board.
- Clarify and communicate the FCC leadership model.
- Is FCC an elder led body, or not? What are we exactly? Well, on paper, FCC is elder led, but the reality is that over time we have become a hybrid. Part of the confusion over the last two years was caused by that hybrid leadership model. We have to clearly define what our leadership model is, then revise the FCC bylaws to reflect that with as little ambiguity as possible.
- Should we redefine the roles of elders and pastors at FCC?
- Do we stick with only one pastor teaching us, or go with a teaching team?
- Update the FCC Vision and Mission statements.
- Revise the FCC bylaws.
- Create a pastor search team, made up of a cross section of the body, that understands the vision, mission, leadership model, bylaws to some extent, and of course, our history. How can the search team do their job otherwise?
Honestly, this is a huge chore, but we have help. Paul Wilcox, Gary Cain, Jerry Sandstrom, Dave Hundrup, Keith Weedin, and Dan Jarrell are participating in what we call the elder advisory team.
Pray! Pray for these men. Pray for the elders. Pray for your brothers and sisters who will be asked to find the next person to teach the Word, challenge us and encourage us.
Published on March 22, 2017 @ 6:08 AM AKDT