In January 2017 a new mission’s outreach team was established. Members include Lora and Greg Lynch (co-leaders), Shirley Harduar, Emily Arrow, Bob Barton, Mike Strahan, and Tunde Akindipe. The team’s first task was to identify the ministries we will continue to support and finalize a budget for the 2016-2017 fiscal year. Our desire is to not only communicate with our partners, but also with you about our partners and how we can prayerfully support them, as well as possibly step foot into their areas of ministry. With local and global outreach, we are reminded that our mission field is across the street and around the world. We are to proclaim and advertise the name of Jesus in and through our lives.
Upcoming mission activity:
- The new map in the Fellowship Hall will display the various places around the world where we partner, locally and globally. Look for photos and information about these partners as well as additional mission information.
- Watch for mission moments and highlights of some of our partners and their prayer requests.
- Coming early fall, the Run for Relief, benefiting the humanitarian work of the Free Burma Rangers will take place. Stay tune for how you can partner and participate in this event.
Helping the Poorest of the Poor
What is the Poor Box?
In the auditorium, there is a collection box labeled 'Poor Box.' This box is a depository for funds which are dedicated to the poorest of the poor. These off-budget funds from contributors are designated for those who are "in the ditch" as in the Good Samaritan story (Luke 10:25-37) versus a recurring need or ongoing mission support.
The distribution guidelines are:
- For the poorest of the poor--the most destitute of the destitute (possibly life-threatening situations)
- Does not represent a recurring event or need for ongoing support
- Preference given to fatherless children and widows in distress (Jas 1:27)
- Funds must be distributed by reliable, trustworthy partners in the field
- The money is given in the name of Jesus Christ
What if I encounter someone who could benefit from this ministry?
Many of our members go on trips and have an unexpected encounter with the poorest of the poor that affects them deeply. If you were deeply touched by an individual situation of desperation and could not respond at the time, we may be able to help. This would be a specific situation where you have continued to feel burdened by the need and personally stayed in touch with the person or persons who continue to be familiar with the situation.
If this applies to you and you can share this burden with us, the following information is needed:
1. The story of your encounter and the story of the person in desperation (pictures, if possible).
2. Contact information for a trustworthy person who is able and willing to follow through with the help we can offer.
Let us know how to best help you help someone else. We are especially interested in widows and orphans without social safety nets who are suffering from their circumstances (Jas 1:27). We believe this prepares the hearts of adults for the Word and strengthens community relationships.
Contact us about the Poor Box using the above icon.